Society Board Minutes 12-11-18


12/11/18 – Final

The FRC is finishing up the Specialization Classes, and will be updating the Rulebook next. The SSC is reviewing magic item activation. The Registry asks Chapters and Committee Chairs for their Admin CAP. Tech is planning a Monster Wiki, i.e. online monster manual. The Annual Membership Meeting is scheduled for January 15th.

The 11/13/18 Society Board Meeting was called to order at 8:07 p.m. Eastern Time, via Discord. Present were Board Members John Jones, Hugh Greene, Pat McGehearty and Olan Knight. Sarah Gibson arrived late. Brad Evenson and David Spence were absent. Melanie Greene from Northern Alabama Chapter also attended.

Attending Board members pinged/texted missing Board members. Minutes were taken by Knight.


 MINUTES: MOTION: To approve the minutes of the 11/13/18 Board Meeting (McGehearty, Knight, by acclaim).

ELECTION REPORT: Gott was not available to report.

FRC REPORT: Greene reports Fighter Class has been finished, and a last once-over on all the classes will take place in December and January. In January: the FRC will start updating the Rulebook; each member will take a chapter and review the chapter with an eye towards organizing the information and verifying the data is correct.

Knight asked about armor-independent magic missile. Jones explained what he and Gibson called “piercing damage”.

SSC REPORT: The SSC is reviewing the chapter on Magic Item activation in preparation for an update to that chapter. Fixes will include Auto-Active, precast, and triggered effects.

REGISTRY: This is the end of the year and each chapter needs to send the Society Registry Chair their annual Chapter Admin CAP.  Registry also requests a copy of each Chapter’s Registry if it is a format that would allow them to do so.

Greene indicated that Northern Alabama’s current Registry Chair will be stepping down in January, so that position will be replaced.

Gibson arrived.

TECH COMMITTEE: Jones reports no updates on the main website. He is working on the Monster Wiki entry; i.e. the online Monster Manual for IFGS.





SPECIAL COMMITTEE REPORT: The Board entered Executive Session at 7:40 pm. Executive Session ended at 8:00 pm.

MOTION: To accept the recommendations of the Special Task Force (Knight, McGehearty, passed by acclaim).

John Jones has the action item to communicate the results of the Special Task Force with the Chapter Board and other involved parties.

COMMITTEE APPOINTMENTS: All Society Committees have appointments expiring in March. The Committee Chairs are encouraged to beat the bushes for volunteers.

LATEX FOAM WEAPONS: Greene brought up the question on how latex-foam weapons are to be regulated. Knight agreed to write up a summary of the rules and send it out. [The write up has now been sent out to the Society Board for review. Upon approval it will be sent to all Chapter Safety Chairs.]

JANUARY MEMBERSHIP MEETING: The next Board Meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, January 15th, 2019. Please note that this will be the Annual Membership Meeting. Times for the meeting are 5 pm Pacific, 6 pm MST, 7 pm CST, and 8 pm EST. The meeting will be held on Discord.  The meeting was adjourned at 9:15 pm EST.



Dallas – Evenson

Denver/Boulder – Spence

Norman – Spence

Pacific Northwest – Jones

Northern Alabama – Gibson



Greater Milwaukee – Greene

Central Ohio – Spence

Ohio River Valley – Knight





Completed Tasks

Society-level electronic voting – Completed

Society Waiver Forms – Completed

Stoplight Policy – Completed

Milestone & Karma Awards – Completed

Business Cards – Available on Vistaprint

Updating Society Website to WordPress – Completed


In Process Tasks

Updating Governing Documents – In process with Society Task Force

Updated Committee Charters – In process with Society Task Force


On Hold

Expand and Revise Wiki (Possibly incorporating online rules.)

Sci-Fi Rules


Not Started

Updating GW Handbook–

Streamlining the payment processes between Society and Chapters –

Treasury Tracking –

Shared Calendar on Website –

Creation of a Treasury Handbook –

Membership Tracking –

Link Exchanges –

Research for 8.0 Rules Set –



Society Board Members

John Jones (TX) (2019) [Pres]

Sarah Gibson (TX) (2020) [VP]

Pat McGehearty (TX) (2020)

Brad Evenson (CO) (2020)

Olan Knight (TX) (2019)

Hugh Greene (AL) (2019)

David Spence (TX) (2019)



Fantasy Rules Committee (FRC)

David Spence (TX) (2019) [Chair]

Henry Wood (TX) (2020) [Vice Chair]

Brad Evenson (CO) (2019)

Hugh Greene (TX) (2019)

Seth Bush (TX) (2020)

David Gibson (TX) (2020)

Michael Englerth (CO) (2020)

Joshua Harris (TX) (2019) ad hoc temporary


Society Sanctioning Committee (SSC)

John Jones (TX) (2020) [Chair]

Seth Bush (TX) (2019)

Olan Knight (TX) (2020)

Kaaren Davis (CO) (2019)

Melanie Greene (AL) (2019)


General Promotions Committee (SGP)

Sarah Gibson [Chair]

Jason Dziuk (2015)

open (2014)

open (2014)


Publications Committee

Members all informal appointments –


Elections Committee

Hope Fountain (OH)

Janice Gott (OH)


Registry Chair

Olan Knight (TX)


Tech Committee

Brett Paul (CO) Interim Chair

Robert Armstrong (TX) [potential Chair]

John Jones (TX)

Bethany Vann (OK)

Sarah Gibson (TX)



Safety Committee

Brad Evenson (CO) [Society Safety Officer]

David Ellis (CO)


Constitutional Review Task Force

Hugh Greene (AL) [Chair]

Brad Evenson (CO)

Ray Michel (CO)

Christopher Seals (TX)