With state-level restrictions loosening in some areas, we know that many of you are eager to get back to swinging foam. However, the advisory is still in effect, meaning that membership status is frozen and no sanctioned events can run. New infection rates are still high, so let’s stay safe.
Category Archives: Safety
David Gibson, LVN, has offered an advisory to the Society Board regarding the COVID-19 outbreak.
Amid the COVID-19 outbreak the CDC’s Official recommendations are as follows:
- Limit Group events to 10 or less.
- Keep social distance (of 6 feet or greater).
- Practice good hand hygiene.
- Sanitize surfaces with high traffic, for example door knobs, countertops, and tables .
Given the nature of an IFGS event with large groups of people, some in the High Risk category, it does not seem feasible to follow the CDC’s recommendations at an IFGS event. The health and safety of our members is our highest priority as an organization, and for that reason, it is the recommendation of the IFGS Society Board to postpone all in-person IFGS events.
The Society Board will review these recommendations in May, then on a monthly basis going forward, as necessary.
Latex Foam Weapon Policy
LATEX-FOAM WEAPON POLICY
As a rule, all latex-foam weapons are legal in IFGS with the following caveats:
- The Game Safety Office has the final say on ANY weapon. If the GSO denies a weapon, that weapon may not be used in the game.
- Thrusting is specifically defined to be a light touch on the target, at a 45 degree angle, touching the target on their torso off center-line from the head. Any other form of thrusting is specifically prohibited. Thrusting a latex-foam weapon with force is grounds for expulsion from the game.
- Latex-foam weapons include those built by Action Props, EagleFlex, Iron Fortress, Epic Armoury, Palnatoke, Forgotten Dreams, Medieval Armoury, and others.
- Calimacil products are NOT latex-foam weapons; they are injection-molded foam weapons with a much denser material that carry a far greater weight than latex-foam weapons.
- The Game Safety Officer is strongly encouraged to have a 2 minute combat with the wielder of any weapon they consider to be a potential danger to others; this includes all Calimcail weapons and all very large latex-foam weapons. This is to ensure that the wielder has sufficient control over their weapon so as to prevent causing harm to others throughout the game.
- Please remember there are no “safe” weapons, only safe players. All new players should perform a practice fight with the Game Safety Officer before allowing them into the game.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
IFGS Society Board Member