Society Board Minutes12-13-17


12/13/17 – Final

 Wherein Elections reported current Board Members Brad Evenson, Sarah Gibson and Pat McGehearty won seats to continue their positions on the new Board in January. The FRC has a revision of Bard Class coming out. The SSC is considering updating the Sanctioning Handbook. A new version of the Registry Handbook is approved clarifying Anchor Game CAP. A new Loremaster’s Guide is endorsed. A call will be made for artwork and photos for the 7.x Rulebook.

 The 12/13/17 Society Board Meeting was called to order at 8:07 p.m. Eastern Time. Present were Board Members John Jones, Brad Evenson, Olan Knight, Pat McGehearty, David Spence, Hugh Greene and Sarah Gibson. Election Chair Christopher Seals, Melanie Greene from N. Alabama Chapter and Janice Gott Society Clerk were present. Brad Evenson dropped out for a while due to computer problems.


 MINUTES: MOTION: To approve the minutes of the 11/15/17 Board Meeting (Knight, Spence, passed by acclaim).

ELECTION REPORT: Election Chair Christopher Seals presented a report on the Fall Elections. There were 146 members eligible to vote. Election Buddy ballots were sent to 111 members, and 3 written ballots were mailed back. The total tally included 147 votes (not voters, but individual votes). Brad Evenson, Sarah Gibson and Pat McGehearty won positions on the new Board. Zach Lee and Cathy Hidalgo came in 4th and 5th, and were very close to each other in the count. The Board thanked Christopher Seals for his work on this.

MOTION: To accept the results of the election report (Knight, Spence, by acclaim).

FRC REPORT: The 7.0 Rules were posted online in Electronic format. The March 7.1 Playtest Rules now have a revised Bard class with input from playtesting, and the FRC will soon be publishing it in final format for approval by the Board. They are still working on Druids.

NOTE TO PLAYERS: During the playtest period, PC characters will be able to play the various specializations without committing their character to that path, and PC characters may temporarily switch to the new Bard class for playtesting. In fact, PCs are encouraged to try the new specializations out and comment on them to the FRC ( Also note that no magic item using new abilities may be created during the playtest period.

SSC REPORT: Gibson has offered to assist in updating the Sanctioning Handbook, should that project be taken back up. Jones reported that the SSC has not met since the approval of the last Bluebook revision.

REGISTRY: Nothing to report.

 TECH COMMITTEE: The Board discussed switching to Discord instead of Skype for meetings. Brett Paul helped to upload the 7.0 Rulebook onto the Society website.

GENERAL PROMOTIONS: Gibson is still waiting on LARP Box information. She has found a new source for pins, should that become pertinent.

 CONSTITUTIONAL REVIEW TASK FORCE: No activity. Christopher Seals volunteered to join the Task Force, and the President so appointed him.

CHAPTER LIAISON UPDATES:  Dallas Chapter has run two games since the last meeting. Northern Alabama has begun to run out of library games, and is starting to write more of their games. They are planning a Game Producer’s Workshop for January.




INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY/CREATIVE COMMONS: No activity. Jones suggests this would be appropriate content for the Sanctioning Handbook update, and the topic was referred to the Sanctioning Committee.


 LOREMASTER GUIDE: McGehearty’s draft had substantive comments from Knight and Spence. He incorporated them and sent out a revision, that received no further comments. The President directed that it be posted to the Society website. It is not an official document, but the Board endorses the Loremaster’s Guide.

ARTWORK AND COVER FOR THE NEXT RULEBOOK: Spence would like to discuss whether there will be a budget for the art in the upcoming 7.x rulebook. This book will be available online from the start, although some members will order hardcopies. However, the Board is expecting very little income from the rulebook. For internal art, the FRC plans to use mostly photos. Spence will put out a call to Chapters for art and photos.

 ANCHOR GAMES: Spence suggested a clarification to Anchor Game CAP on page 24 of the Registry Handbook. “This EP includes all of the events that occur within the Anchor Game except for mini-games.”

MOTION: To approve this clarification in the Registry Handbook (Evenson, Spence, 6-0-1, Greene abstain).

MOTION: To approve version 3.26 of the Registry Handbook including this change (Spence, Jones, by acclaim).

NEXT MEETING: The next IFGS Board Meeting will be the Annual Membership Meeting. It will be held on Wednesday, January 17th. Times for the meeting are 5 pm Pacific, 6 pm MST, 7 pm CST, and 8 pm EST. The meeting will be held on Skype at i_f_g_s or 720.259.1667. The meeting was adjourned at 9:32 pm EST.



Dallas – Evenson

Denver/Boulder – Spence

Norman – Spence

Pacific Northwest – Jones

Northern Alabama – Gibson



Greater Milwaukee – Greene

Southern California – Knight

Central Ohio – Spence





Completed Tasks

Society-level electronic voting – Completed

Society Waiver Forms – Completed

Stoplight Policy – Completed

Milestone & Karma Awards – Completed

Business Cards – Available on Vistaprint

Updating Society Website to WordPress – Completed


In Process Tasks

Updating Governing Documents – In process with Society Task Force

Updated Committee Charters – In process with Society Task Force


On Hold

Character Creation System

Expand and Revise Wiki (Possibly incorporating online rules.) –


Not Started

Updating GW Handbook–

Streamlining the payment processes between Society and Chapters –

Treasury Tracking –

Shared Calendar on Website –

Creation of a Treasury Handbook –

Membership Tracking –

Link Exchanges –

Research for 8.0 Rules Set –



Society Board Members

John Jones (TX) (2019) [Pres]

Sarah Gibson (TX) (2018) [VP]

Pat McGehearty (TX) (2018)

Brad Evenson (CO) (2018)

Olan Knight (TX) (2019)

Hugh Greene (AL) (2019)

David Spence (TX) (2019)



Fantasy Rules Committee (FRC)

David Spence (TX) (2019) [Chair]

Brad Evenson (CO) (2019)

Hugh Greene (TX) (2019)

Seth Bush (TX) (2018)

David Gibson (TX) (2018)

Joshua Harris (TX) (2019) ad hoc temporary


Society Sanctioning Committee (SSC)

John Jones (TX) (2018) [Chair]

Seth Bush (TX) (2019)

Olan Knight (TX) (2018)

Kaaren Davis (CO) (2019)

Melanie Greene (AL) (2019)


General Promotions Committee (SGP)

Sarah Gibson [Chair]

Jason Dziuk (2015)

open (2014)

open (2014)


Publications Committee

Members all informal appointments –


Elections Committee

Chris Seals (TX)

Jason Dsiuk (TX)

Janice Gott (OH)


Registry Chair

Olan Knight (TX)


Tech Committee

Robert Armstrong (TX) [Chair]

Bethany Vann (OK)

Sarah Gibson (TX)



Constitutional Review Task Force

Hugh Greene (AL) [Chair]

Brad Evenson (CO)

Ray Michel (CO)

Christopher Seals (TX)