Seats on the Fantasy Rules Committee and Society Sanctioning Committee are coming up for appointment or renewal at the end of March. The committees will review applications and submit their recommendations to the Board for appointments in April.
The FRC is retiring the ad hoc seats added to help with the heavy lifting of drafting the 8.0 Fantasy Rules, so four terms are ending, but only three seats will be open. Members whose terms are at a close are Bush, Englerth, Gibson, and Seals. If you’d like to volunteer, or if your seat is up and you’d like to continue to serve, let the FRC know.
Two seats on the SSC are up this year, Jones and Knight. The SSC will be looking at updates to magic item prices stemming from the major updates to the Fantasy Rules rules. Please contact the SSC if you’d like to get involved in fantasy accounting without unfortunate legal entanglements.
There’s a new update to the Beta rules, with specialization changes, sigils, and new and improved class charts (the number-cruncher’s delight). We can’t playtest them yet, but theorycrafting is a go!
With in-person events on hold, Dallas Chapter has turned to virtual IFGS. Henry Wood, Dallas member and former member of the FRC, has come up with a simple adaptation for playing games with the IFGS Fantasy rules at a tabletop or over Discord. Dallas members have been trying it out in their channel, and now you can, too, with Henry’s draft rules.
With state-level restrictions loosening in some areas, we know that many of you are eager to get back to swinging foam. However, the advisory is still in effect, meaning that membership status is frozen and no sanctioned events can run. New infection rates are still high, so let’s stay safe.
David Gibson, LVN, has offered an advisory to the Society Board regarding the COVID-19 outbreak.
Amid the COVID-19 outbreak the CDC’s Official recommendations are as follows:
- Limit Group events to 10 or less.
- Keep social distance (of 6 feet or greater).
- Practice good hand hygiene.
- Sanitize surfaces with high traffic, for example door knobs, countertops, and tables .
Given the nature of an IFGS event with large groups of people, some in the High Risk category, it does not seem feasible to follow the CDC’s recommendations at an IFGS event. The health and safety of our members is our highest priority as an organization, and for that reason, it is the recommendation of the IFGS Society Board to postpone all in-person IFGS events.
The Society Board will review these recommendations in May, then on a monthly basis going forward, as necessary.
The new Fantasy Rules 8.0 Beta update is up and ready for playtest! We’ve got two new playable classes, Alchemist and Bard, and new specializations for existing classes, plus a lot of other updates. Download the new ruleset now and get ready to try it out. Remember to send your feedback to the FRC!
The Blue Book has gotten an update as well. Blue Book 2.15 brings a new type of toy to the game: Focus Enhancements. Like weapon and armor enhancements, these boosts add a numerical bonus, this time to the effects of healing and damaging skills, abilities, and spells. Version 2.15 also features an overhaul of the Magic Item Activation section, aimed at clearing up some confusion about just how some items work, especially Autocast and Autoactivate toys.
IFGS BOARD MEETING MINUTES
3/20/19 – Final
The revision of the Fantasy Rulebook is underway by the FRC. The FRC and SSC committees continued with the same members, as their expiring members were appointed to new terms. The Milwaukee Chapter is planning a meeting to talk about their summer schedule. Membership renewal season is underway. Dallas collected renewals at their banquet game, and Northern Alabama has a game planned late this month to collect memberships. Dallas Chapter has scheduled a second game writers workshop. Continue reading Society Board Meeting Minutes 3-20-19
LATEX-FOAM WEAPON POLICY
As a rule, all latex-foam weapons are legal in IFGS with the following caveats:
- The Game Safety Office has the final say on ANY weapon. If the GSO denies a weapon, that weapon may not be used in the game.
- Thrusting is specifically defined to be a light touch on the target, at a 45 degree angle, touching the target on their torso off center-line from the head. Any other form of thrusting is specifically prohibited. Thrusting a latex-foam weapon with force is grounds for expulsion from the game.
- Latex-foam weapons include those built by Action Props, EagleFlex, Iron Fortress, Epic Armoury, Palnatoke, Forgotten Dreams, Medieval Armoury, and others.
- Calimacil products are NOT latex-foam weapons; they are injection-molded foam weapons with a much denser material that carry a far greater weight than latex-foam weapons.
- The Game Safety Officer is strongly encouraged to have a 2 minute combat with the wielder of any weapon they consider to be a potential danger to others; this includes all Calimcail weapons and all very large latex-foam weapons. This is to ensure that the wielder has sufficient control over their weapon so as to prevent causing harm to others throughout the game.
- Please remember there are no “safe” weapons, only safe players. All new players should perform a practice fight with the Game Safety Officer before allowing them into the game.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
IFGS Society Board Member
IFGS BOARD MEETING MINUTES
2/20/19 – Final
The revision of the Fantasy Rulebook is underway by the FRC. The SSC is advertising for committee members, as positions are coming open at the end of March. The Registry Handbook had a minor update. The Board has a new policy of safety rules for manufactured foam weapons for inclusion in the Safety Handbook and new rulebook. Dallas Chapter held a successful game writers workshop. Continue reading Society Board Meeting Minutes 2-20-19
IFGS BOARD MEETING MINUTES
1/15/19 – Final
The Board members running for re-election were successful, and there was no change to the Board from Elections, or to the Society Officers. Brad Evenson resigned with one year left on his term, and Shelly Ralston, ORV Chapter, was appointed to finish his term. The FRC is beginning to update the Rulebook. The SSC is reviewing magic item activation. Tech is planning a Monster Wiki, i.e. online monster manual. The Constitutional Review Task Force will be tackling the By-Laws next. The Central Ohio Provisional Chapter asked to be dissolved. The Board is reviewing proposed safety rules for manufactured foam weapons for inclusion in the Safety Handbook. Continue reading Society Board Minutes 1-15-19